So, it’s been a long time since I posted. I made these burgers/patties twice last week, and I think they are so good, that I had to post the recipe.
These were particularly good with a dollop of guacamole and salsa. Vegetarian and gluten-free, they are delicious and healthy, so win-win!
Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, rinsed if not pre-rinsed brand
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon light-colored oil
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Rudi’s Gluten-free Savory Herb Stuffing)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Oil, to sauté
- Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the quinoa; toast the quinoa for about 3 minutes, stirring often.
Add water, bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook about 15-18 minutes, or until quinoa is dry and fluffy; set aside.
Place 2/3 of the beans in a mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher. Alternative – whiz them in your food processor.
Add the remaining ingredients to the mashed beans and mix well.
Allow mixture to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, although 8 hours is better.
Form into desired size; I like these small, but you can make them the size of a burger and eat on a bun, if you like.
Heat a tablespoon or so of oil in pan, place patties in pan, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes each side.
Shared with Hearth & Soul
Adapted from Two Blue Lemons